"The Faces of Morgantown" is my newest pen and ink drawing. A friend joined me in a nice trek around town trying to find faces to include. The collection is based on real people (Don Knotts, Jerry West), faces of the imaginary (Stewart Hall gargoyles), and a few other faces that were found in Morgantown. The faces had to be permanent fixtures of our town to fit the criteria.
I thought folks would enjoy the challenge of trying to find each of these faces as they walk and drive around town. I know I've been enjoying the artistic features of Morgantown ever since I moved here in the 80s. There is a lot to see and a lot to overlook, due to countless distractions. It could take years! Here's a key for those of you with less patience, time, or sense of adventure.
1. South High Street Cemetery - dark faced angle held me in my dreams - She was once drawn by my former drawing professor, Ben Freidman, and awarded as a print to me for placing 3rd in the annual Halloween mask making contest.
2. Woodburn clock face
3. WVU Mountaineer - bronze statue in front of the Mountainlair
4. Don Knotts - taken from the Star of Fame in the sidewalk of High Street - I enjoyed creating the camera ready art based on Jamie Lester's illustration to produce the bronze star.
5. Stewart Hall gargoyles - When I moved here Stewart hall was surrounded by trees. I never did have a class in this incredible building and didn't walk close enough to notice all the gargoyles until years later. Incredible!
6. 9-11 First Responder Tribute Mural on the Caperton Trail - designed and painted by a great Morgantown artist, and last I heard, another great Morgantown artist was a contributor.
7. WVU Mountaineer - as depicted on the bronze medallion commemorating the old WVU Stadium. This is the only face of Morgantown that I created. I got to design the seal and draw the camera ready art for production for the seal to be placed at the exact spot where years before I played frisbee football by the light of the moon.
8. Faces from the history of medicine - Medical Pylons at the WVU Health Science Center
9. Morgantown Court House clock face
10. Jerry West - bronze statue in front of the WVU Coliseum a sculpture by another great Morgantown artist
11. Colonel Zackquill Morgan - Founder of Morgantown, sculpted as part of the historical bronze markers hanging on historic buildings throughout town.
12. Violin Player - part of a downtown mural of a downtown scene alongside a parking lot near the top of High St.
13. Morgantown High School Mohigan
Please click on thumbnails below to view illustrations that I've done for books, publications, t-shirts and as gifts.
My prices vary, but I can usually find a creative way to work within any budget. I can work from photos, or from concept. I enjoy the challenge of strict deadlines and complicated subjects. I'm capable of researching a subject for best possible portrayal and can work in various styles to arrive at what best fits my clients' needs. Let me help you create a gift for that special someone that has everything. Art is personal and from the heart and is rarely tossed or sold in yard sales. You will be adding to the collection of family heirlooms and taking a thoughtful step in preserving your heritage.